Saturday, October 25, 2008

Writing difficulties!!!

It is generally agreed that writing is one of indispensable parts of university life. For engineering course, even though writing is not the most important skill which a student needs to acquire, yet it cannot be underestimated for any reason. Thus, improving writing skill is by no means necessary .Personally, one of my difficulties when working on any writing assignment in engineering course is that I cannot generate enough interesting ideas to write about and grammatical mistakes also contribute to my writing difficulties.
Having attended module Eg1471 and read several books on university writing, I have drawn certain ways to resolve my writing difficulties. First of all, I will discuss ways that could help me generate more ideas for my writing assignment. Since most of engineering writing assignment is about responding to some scientific or technology articles, thus, reading more books and articles on the same topic will definitely help. The more books and articles I read, the more general view I will have about a specific topic I have to work on. Take my assignment to write an essay responding to climate change as an example. Initially, I had no idea what I should write about, where I should start and how I would demonstrate my ideas. Then I spent time working on articles on climate changes from NUS library as well as online resources. Different articles I read have varied ways to approach the problem and discuss different obstacles as well as solutions that encompass climate change. As a result, I have not only collected enough useful information to start working on my assignment but also acquired an in-depth view of climate change. All would help me complete my assignment with sense of satisfaction.
Secondly, grammatical mistakes also pose difficulty for me. However, since it is obvious that the best way to improve grammar in English is to study and do more exercises, this problem come into re-reading grammar lessons and practicing myself whenever possible.
Two of my writing difficulties described above can be tackle with a strong enough determination and consistence and I believe that I possess these two characteristics.

1 comment:

Nicolas said...

Hi Lam,
Your writing is well written and it is easily understood.
Thank you for sharing your experience about how to generate interesting ideas since I usually feel that most of my writings were not really interesting.